Speech Therapy is aimed at improving speech, language skills, swallowing and oral motor skills in infants all the way to the elderly. Communication and swallowing are terms that encompass many facets of functioning.
Communication includes speech production/articulation, fluency, expressive and receptive language, cognition, voice, resonance, and hearing. Swallowing includes every stage of the swallowing process, from feeding related issues to the swallowing mechanism in the throat.
The Speech-Language Pathologists at ITS are equipped to provide care for all ages, disabilities, and needs, for both congenital and acquired disorders that stem from intellectual disabilities, autism spectrum disorders, strokes, and brain injuries, just to name a few. They provide services to ensure that each person receives the best, individualized care they need in order for them to function as independently as possible. These include, but are not limited to:
- Swallowing and feeding treatment for infants, pediatrics, and adults
- Clinical Bedside Swallow Evaluations
- Speech clarity, intelligibility, and articulation
- Expressive and receptive language treatment
- Executive functioning (reasoning, problem solving, thought processing, etc.)
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication